Being vegetarian, I am forever on the hunt for meat-free alternatives to bring to potlucks and holiday gatherings. In response to the general lack of protein-rich dishes at most holiday tables in mixed company (not pointing any fingers), I wanted to create a dish this year that would “fill the void”. I’m not sure I was 100% successful in creating something that could substitute as a main dish, but it will definitely fill you up enough to avoid swoops through the cookie table!
Broccoli Quinoa Casserole is a little nostalgia, mixed with one large part comfort food, and lightly topped with a sprinkle of protein-rich nutrition. I used my aunt’s broccoli rice casserole recipe as a starting point, substituting rice for quinoa, and using a variety of other sources to add in some comfort staples like mayonnaise, nutmeg and just a hint of sugar.
Finally, a dish carnivores and herbivores can agree on!
Broccoli Quinoa Casserole Recipe
This will generously feed 14 people; the recipe outlined below fills a 13 x 9 casserole.
- 2 10 Ounce Cans Cream of Mushroom (or Broccoli) Soup
Gluten Free? Not to worry, I’ve got you covered:
Gluten Free Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 3/4 Cup Mayonnaise (Reduced Fat OK)
- 4 Tablespoons Milk
- 2 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Teaspoon Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- Dash Nutmeg
- 5 Cups Cooked Broccoli
- 3 Cups Cooked Quinoa
- 1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese
How To Cook Quinoa:
1 1/2 Cups Uncooked Quinoa
3 Cups Water
- Rinse quinoa until water comes through filter clear.
- Place quinoa in pan with water.
- Bring quinoa and water to boil over high heat.
- Once boil has been reached, reduce heat to simmer and cover.
- Cook for 15-18 minutes, stir a few times during cooking process to prevent sticking to pan.
- Quinoa is done when tail becomes visbile. Take care not to overcook.
How to Make Casserole:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat 13 x 9 casserole with butter or cooking spray.
- Combine soup, mayonnaise, milk, cheddar cheese, sugar, pepper and nutmeg in a large bowl until well mixed.
- Stir cooked broccoli and quinoa into mixture.
- Pour mixture into greased casserole, using spatula to evenly distribute mixture throughout entire casserole.
- Cover top of casserole with parmesan cheese. Save some for finished casserole.
- Bake uncovered for 45-55 minutes or until casserole is golden brown and bubbling.
- Serve with freshly grated parmesan on top and ENJOY!