This is an adaptation of classic Green Bean Casserole, with a bit of a fresh twist using fresh onion and portobello or baby bella mushrooms.
Gluten free holiday revelers need not worry, I’ve also included a recipe for Gluten Free Cream of Anything that can be used in place of the standard, canned cream of mushroom soup.
This Green Bean Casserole recipe will *barely* fit within the confines of a 9 x 13 pan.
I’d estimate this size casserole will serve at least 12-14 guests with leftovers.
What You Will Need
- 1 small sweet onion
- 1 box baby bella (portobello) mushrooms
- pat of butter (just enough to cook mushroom and onion)
- 3 10.75 ounce cans cream of mushroom soup OR 3 batches Gluten Free Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 6 cans no-salt green beans (I advise against frozen as they tend to get soggy/watery in the casserole)
- ~3 cups of milk – enough to fill empty can of cream of mushroom soup
- 8 oz. french fried onions
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3-4 teaspoons soy sauce (optional)
- Cook onion and portabella mushrooms on medium high heat with butter until mushrooms have lost moisture and onions are slightly golden.
- While the mushrooms and onions are cooking – drain the green beans, open cream of mushroom soup cans and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pour cream of mushroom soup into 9×13 pan.
- Add milk (use your judgment here and add just enough to dilute the soup, but not make it watery), 3/4 of large can of french fried onions, pepper and soy sauce (if you want).
- Mix ingredients in 9×13 pan until thoroughly combined and any lumps in soup have been removed.
- Add mushrooms and onions once cooked, mix ingredients again until combined.
- Add green beans, making sure to cover entirely with liquid.
- Cook at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, or until casserole begins bubbling and browning along edges.
- Once casserole is cooked, top with remaining french fried onions, and place back into the oven for about 10 minutes (until onions on top are dark/golden).
Gluten Free? Don’t worry, I have you covered!
Instead of using the traditional glutenified cream of mushroom soups, use the following Cream of Anything recipe.
Condensed Gluten Free Cream of Anything Soup
Ingredients (Equivalent to One Can of Soup)
- 1 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp chicken bouillon (substitute vegetable if vegetarian)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- dash of pepper
- Whisk milk and cornstarch until well blended.
- Stir in bouillon, butter, salt & pepper.
- Heat to a boil, stirring frequently – take care not to curdle the milk!
- Simmer on low for one minute to thicken.
- This preparation is equal to one can of cream of anything soup.
Cream of Mushroom
Stir in either a 4 ounce can (drained) of mushroom pieces or small box of mushrooms (cooked) once soup has thickened.
Cream of Chicken
Stir in about 1/2 cup cooked chicken pieces once soup has thickened.
Cream of Celery
Stir in 1/2 cup cooked,chopped celery once soup has thickened.