Gluten free holiday revelers need not worry, I’ve also included a recipe for Gluten Free Cream of Anything that can be used in place of the standard, canned cream of mushroom soup.
This Green Bean Casserole recipe will *barely* fit within the confines of a 9 x 13 pan.
I’d estimate this size casserole will serve at least 12-14 guests with leftovers.
What You Will Need
- 1 small sweet onion
- 1 box baby bella (portobello) mushrooms
- pat of butter (just enough to cook mushroom and onion)
- 3 10.75 ounce cans cream of mushroom soup OR 3 batches Gluten Free Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 6 cans no-salt green beans (I advise against frozen as they tend to get soggy/watery in the casserole)
- ~3 cups of milk – enough to fill empty can of cream of mushroom soup
- 8 oz. french fried onions
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3-4 teaspoons soy sauce (optional)
- Cook onion and portabella mushrooms on medium high heat with butter until mushrooms have lost moisture and onions are slightly golden.
- While the mushrooms and onions are cooking – drain the green beans, open cream of mushroom soup cans and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pour cream of mushroom soup into 9×13 pan.
- Add milk (use your judgment here and add just enough to dilute the soup, but not make it watery), 3/4 of large can of french fried onions, pepper and soy sauce (if you want).
- Mix ingredients in 9×13 pan until thoroughly combined and any lumps in soup have been removed.
- Add mushrooms and onions once cooked, mix ingredients again until combined.
- Add green beans, making sure to cover entirely with liquid.
- Cook at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, or until casserole begins bubbling and browning along edges.
- Once casserole is cooked, top with remaining french fried onions, and place back into the oven for about 10 minutes (until onions on top are dark/golden).
Gluten Free? Don’t worry, I have you covered!
Instead of using the traditional glutenified cream of mushroom soups, use the following Cream of Anything recipe.
Ingredients (Equivalent to One Can of Soup)
- 1 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp chicken bouillon (substitute vegetable if vegetarian)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- dash of pepper
- Whisk milk and cornstarch until well blended.
- Stir in bouillon, butter, salt & pepper.
- Heat to a boil, stirring frequently – take care not to curdle the milk!
- Simmer on low for one minute to thicken.
- This preparation is equal to one can of cream of anything soup.
Cream of Mushroom
Stir in either a 4 ounce can (drained) of mushroom pieces or small box of mushrooms (cooked) once soup has thickened.
Cream of Chicken
Stir in about 1/2 cup cooked chicken pieces once soup has thickened.
Cream of Celery
Stir in 1/2 cup cooked,chopped celery once soup has thickened.